Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Yellowstone National Park

Fishing....not my thing! :) Fishing....Ross's new thing (I know...the last thing he needs is another hobby)....the newest hobby is what led us to a few fun filled days in Island Park, Idaho & Yellowstone National Park with my Mom and Rick. We crashed their little party late Monday night, stayed up late chatting about fishing, and with the promise of great fishing in the morning, and a bit of riverside reading time for me, it was off to bed!

I have decided that Rick and Ross are true flyfishing junkies that would stay in the river all day casting and catching if they could. On the other hand, Mom would catch her token fish of the day, take it off the hook HERSELF....eeewwhh...and join me on the beach for reading, sewing, or just girl chat, until the daily bee attack! Oh the bees....I think Mom has a big yellow sign on her that says "I am sweet, sting me!!" I didn't believe her when she said the bees "attack" her, but after the second sting in as many days, I changed my thinking on the "attack" story. Mom finally started seeking refuge from the bees on a rock....in the river!

We did get a chance to venture out of the river and see the rest of the park and of course, look for bears, doesn't everyone see bears in Yellowstone? Or just wildlife in general? There was also the idea that I (the only Yellowstone "rookie") would get to see Old Faithful at the end of our little "bear hunt," if the old geyser was cooperating.

We saw a ton of buffalo, and elk, as well as one of the "recently unendangered" grey wolves, but of course, no matter how hard we looked, our bear hunt was unsuccessful :( At some point Rick turned into and Indy 500 driver, passing everyone he could to get us around the park in a somewhat reasonable amount of time!! With all of the animal road blocks, and slow drivers in general, it is amazing how long it can take. As we snaked our way around on the road, we could see the geyser blow between the trees....just my luck! As we were pulling along side the main lodge, the geyser was just finishing with his show, and blowing off the last of his steam, for the next 1 1/2 hours!

Whether it be for the fun times, great fishing, or just so I can see Old Faithful do his thing....I think we'll be back :)

5 comments:

Becca said...

Yay for Yellowstone! Sounds like it was a fun trip, despite a few minor details.. like bears and geysers! :)I love the pics and the details!! Thanks again for letting us borrow the kneeboards!! I'm excited to do dinner with you guys when we get back!

Shauna said...

Oh! Sounds like too much fun! I wish I could have drug my little family up there for some yellowstone, bear hunting, bee avoiding fun! :) Maybe next times. :) Glad you had fun!

MaDeb or Deb said...

Thanks for coming up and adding such fun to our trip. Someday you'll be a fly fisher-woman!.. Cuz I wasn't ever going to be one either. So glad you came and hung out. Next time we'll find a bear and watch old Faithful spout! I'll also find a BEE repellant so I'm not such a running freak! LOL.. Crazy darn BEE'S.. Love You guys!

Jen said...

Mom....you are so right, I just bought my fishing gear today.....YIKES!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow what a great place to go JellyStone! Some of my best memories of cartoons were made there. Looks like you guys seriously had a blast. Fly fishing definitely looks more fun than the old trolling fishing we used to do. I used to really be able to do a mean gut on a trout... I wonder how that went now? "Honey, where's the Cutco filet knife???"